LED and HPS grow lights are two of the indoor plant growing market's most popular types of grow lights. However, both have advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to know what each type of light can offer your plants before deciding. GrowLight Heaven in Monsey, NY, is here to cover the essentials for when you're choosing between LED and HPS grow lights. Continue reading to get the inside scoop, and check out our signature line of products today!
What Defines UV Light?
Ultraviolet light, or UV light, is a type of electromagnetic radiation. It has a shorter wavelength than visible light and is invisible to the human eye. UV light is divided into three categories: UVA, UVB, and UVC. Each category has its unique characteristics and benefits for plant growth.
UVA rays make up most of the sunlight reaching the earth's surface. These rays are responsible for plant growth and photosynthesis. However, too much exposure to UVA rays can damage plant leaves.
UVB rays are also found in sunlight but make up a smaller percentage than UVA rays. These rays are known to cause sunburns in humans but can also benefit plant growth. UVB rays help plants produce essential nutrients and can increase plant immunity to disease.
UVC rays are the shortest and most harmful type of UV radiation. The ozone layer completely absorbs these rays and does not reach the earth's surface. However, UVC lamps are sometimes used in plant cultivation for sterilization.
The Benefits of Ultraviolet Light for Plants
UV light has many benefits for plant growth and development. Here are just a few of the ways that UV light can help your plants:
- Stimulates plant growth hormone production
- Increases plant immunity to disease
- Aids in photosynthesis
- Helps plants produce essential nutrients
As you can see, UV light is an integral part of plant growth. If you're growing plants indoors, supplementing with UV light is a great way to give them the nutrients they need to thrive.
The Best Ways to Add Ultraviolet Light to Your Grow Room
You can add UV light to your grow room in several ways. The best method will depend on your specific needs and goals. Here are a few of the most popular methods:
- Use grow lights that emit UV light. This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to add UV light to your grow room. Many grow lights on the market today come with built-in UV light, so it's easy to find one that fits your needs.
- Add a UV lamp to your existing grow lights. If you already have to grow lights in your grow room, you can add a UV lamp to supplement them. This is a great way to increase the amount of UV light your plants get without replacing your entire lighting system.
- Use natural sunlight. If you have a window in your grow room, you can take advantage of natural sunlight to provide your plants with UV light. Just be sure to monitor your plants' light, so you don't accidentally burn them.
Now that we've covered everything you need to know about UV light for plants, it's time to put it into action. GrowLight Heaven has a wide selection of grow lights that emit UV light, so you're sure to find one that's perfect for your needs. So browse our selection today and get started on giving your plants the nutrients they need to thrive!